Sunday, April 7, 2013

Blog Assignment #3


        I recently wrote my first professional memo for my English 259 class. It was not like what I thought it was going to be like, but in fact it was rather easy. We were given three topics to choose from and I am interested in mechanical engineering to I went with the buying a robot topic. In my opinion, this seemed the best topic to write about because there is so much to discuss and what I write about may actually be the future for some people. 
Two arc welding robots can accomplish much more than two skilled human welders.  They have the potential to create unlimited economic growth, since the more robots you have, the more they can produce. If something should go wrong with the robots and they malfunction, the warranty should cover the damages or might even replace them with a new one. If my highly skilled human welder malfunctions then we have to be one the hunt for a new one and fast.  There is also an employee loaded cost where we end up spending more than we are actually paying per hour. In an article entitled Loaded Cost of Employee Time by Jakob Nielsen, he says “The fully loaded cost of an employee is at least twice his or her salary. This is why consultants charge so much more than regular employees: their billable hours have to cover the many overhead costs that are implicit for your full-time employees” (Nielsen, 1997). With all of this coming into factor I will go over my budget and this company will go down. The welding robots also can produce about three times as fast an the average person with less chance of error. The only problem with the robots is they need to be serviced for two days per month but the cost to do this is as much as servicing your car.  The welding robots will do wonders for this company and I strongly believe will be put into effect immediately. 
That was a paragraph from my memo just to give an idea of what I wrote about. The solution I came up with was to buy the two arc welding robots because they are much cheaper than human skilled welders and will provide a better work output. I came up with this solution by looking at the negatives for both parties. The human workers will have some error and will need vacation time, sick days, and employee loaded cost. The robots just need maintenance every couple of months and they do not interact, they just do their job. I do not do much writing regularly, only if it is required by my professors. This was the first time I wrote a memo and I learned a lot from this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment